City Hall Annex

305 Johnson Street
Big Spring, Texas 79720
Phone: (432) 264-2504
Fax: (432) 264-7024

Office Hours:  Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Before starting any construction or home improvement task, take a few minutes of your time to contact our staff. We will be more than happy to assist you in any way possible ensure that your project is in compliance with applicable codes. Contact the City of Big Spring Building Inspection Department at 264-2504 or email your questions to .


Are Permits Required?
Whenever you are going to start a project, please contact the Building Inspection Department to verify if permits are required. This will not only help in your decision making process, but also may save time and money by avoiding potential non-compliance with various City Codes and Ordinances.

Some projects that require permits that you may not be aware of include but are not limited to:

  • Decks
  • Roofs
  • Accessory Structures (e.g. garages, storage structures, etc.)
  • Remodels, Additions
  • Swimming Pools, Spas
  • Water Heaters, Water Softeners

Cosmetic projects that do not require permits include:

  • House Painting
  • Carpets
  • Cabinets
  • Wallpaper
  • Windows

When do I need a permit?
Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit for the work. Minor repairs may be made with the approval of the Building Official without a permit, provided that such repairs shall not violate any of the provisions of the technical codes.

Do I need a permit to build a carport?
Yes, a permit is required to build any structure on your property. All front, side and back yard carports require a permit. An application shall be submitted to the Permit Clerk, to be reviewed by the Building Official.

Do I need a permit if I re-roof my house?
Yes, a permit is required to re-roof your house. The standard permit fee is $25.00 for the first $3,000.00 dollars. If you are a commercial contractor, then landfill fees will apply. Landfill fees are $30.00 per ton. You must have your building permit to dump at the City Landfill.

Do I need a permit if I have siding installed on my house?
Yes, a permit is required for the siding or covering the eaves of your home.

Do I need a permit to change the water heater in my home?
Yes, a permit is required for the removal and installation of all water heaters and storage tanks do require a permit. This will ensure that pressure and temperature valves, gas vents, gas valves, gas lines, and drain lines are installed properly. On electric water heaters, a permit will ensure that the wire size and breakers are of adequate size as per Plumbing and Electrical Code.

What if I want to encroach my front and side yard setbacks?
If you want to exceed your building line setbacks, you must make application to the Building Official. The application will be denied and at that point a meeting will be set for the Zoning Board to review the application. The cost for the meeting will be $50.00.  This fee is non-refundable and will pay for the cost to send letters to everyone within 200 feet of your property line.

What Technical Codes are currently used by the City of Big Spring?

2012 International Building Code
2012 International Plumbing Code
2012 International Mechanical Code
2012 International Gas Code
2011 National Electrical Code

Back to Code Enforcement page